National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS)

Eligibility Requirements

NRAS rental homes are available to low and moderate income Australians – people who may find it hard to pay market rental rates.

To be eligible to rent an NRAS property, potential tenants will need to register for NRAS (via Department of Housing and Public Works) and provide the approved participant with evidence of their gross income for the previous 12 months before the day they enter the dwelling, both with their initial application and every year afterwards.

The total income of all tenants of an NRAS rental property is used to calculate the overall household income for that property.

Below, we show the quickest and easiest way to provide this information during the application process, as well as during annual reassessment.

Tenant Income Assessment

All applicants and ongoing Tenants who receive any income (including Centrelink payments) are required to complete a Tenant Income Assessment to determine what documentation is required to be provided, in order to correctly assess the household’s gross income for the previous 12 month period.

The Tenant Income Assessment can be completed electronically here.

You will be asked a total of 6 questions to help assess your household’s eligibility.

  • Any questions you answer YES to will require further information and copies of supporting documents. The supporting documents must be provided, or your application/re-assessment cannot be completed, and you will not be eligible for NRAS.
  • Any questions you answer NO to will be automatically skipped and you will not need to do anything more for these.
  • If you answer NO to “Are you (or a person residing with you) registered for NRAS?”, you will be advised that you are not eligible to apply for an NRAS property and your application will be withdrawn.

Q1: Are you (or a person residing with you) registered for NRAS?

In Queensland, applicants are required to be registered for NRAS. Once you have completed the application process via Department of Housing and Public Works (here), your application will be processed.

Once you are registered, you will receive an email with a PDF attachment of your Registration Letter. This is required to be submitted with your Tenancy Application.

An example of what the NRAS Registration Letter looks like is below:

Q2: Were you Employed (at any time in the last 12 months)?

If you are currently working, or have received income from employment at anytime within the last 12 months (date of your application back 12 months), you will be required to provide Gross Income information for EACH job.

There are several ways that you can do this, however all required documentation must be provided.

OPTION 1 (Recommended)

ATO Income Statement for current financial year


ATO Income Statement for previous financial year


Your latest payslip showing the YTD value


Your PAYG Summary from the previous financial year


Your latest payslip showing the YTD value


Your latest Notice of Assessment sent by the ATO

HOW TO: Generate an ATO Income Statement

Please ensure you follow the below instructions – we need to have the full document, screenshots of the landing page are not accepted.

1. Logon to

2. Access Australian Tax Office under ‘Your Services’

3. Under the Employment tab, select ‘Income Statements’

4. Find the required Financial Year and select the appropriate employer from the required period. Use the drop down arrow to the far right to display more information.

5. Scroll to the bottom of this drop down area and generate a statement by selecting Print-Friendly Version – example shown below:

6. Once the Income Statement has generated, save a copy of the document using the PRINT option at the top right corner. Save as PDF – example shown below:

7. Repeat this for each employer and/or each financial year required to provide a total of 12 months gross income.

Q3: Did you receive any Centrelink payments or benefits?

You are required to provide a Centrelink Income Statement AND (where possible) a Payment Summary for the previous financial year. (Please Note: Do not provide a Detailed Income and Asset Statement, this is not what is required. Be sure to select the one that says “Income Statement”)

IMPORTANT: If your Date of Grant has changed within the last 12 months, you will be required to provide a back dated Income Statement in addition to your recent Income Statement – this can be completed via the Centrelink Online Services on a computer, shown below.

: Generate a ‘back dated’ Income Statement

Unfortunately, to back date a Centrelink Income Statement you need to use the desktop version of the Centrelink Online Services (via

To back date an Income Statement, Request a Document and change the “what date would you like to request this income statement for?” date to a date prior to your Grant Date. For example: If your Grant Date is 27/04/2020, the date would be for 26/04/2020 or prior.

Complete this for each time the grant date changes if it is within the 12 month period.

Q4: Were you Self Employed (at any time in the last 12 months)?

You are required to provide a copy of your latest Notice of Assessment AND a letter from your Accountant declaring your Net Income for the period required.

Q5: Did you receive payments or income from any other source?

You are required to provide a signed letter, statement or Statutory Declaration stating the weekly or annual Gross amount paid and the commencement date of the payments.

Examples of support payments or other types of income include, but are not limited to:

  • Child Support/Maintenance
  • Overseas Pensions
  • Scholarships
  • Superannuation
  • Salary Sacrafice
  • DVA/Pension
  • Support Payments from Family Members

Q6: Did you have a period where you received ZERO income?

If there was a period of time where you received zero income from any source, you are required to provide a Statutory Declaration stating “I did not receive any income from any source between [date] and [date]”.

Share This Post!


Meraki Property Management